Welcome to The Healthy Catholic, a blog dedicated to nourishment of the body and the mind. The purpose of this blog is to promote what I consider to be two essential ingredients to a healthy and happy life: proper eating and the Catholic Faith.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Catholic Audio

I spend about two hours in the car every day commuting to work, so I'm constantly looking for something to listen to while I drive. I had been listening to several tech related podcasts, but I've recently lost my interest in technology. I still think the gadgets are cool, but they're becoming less and less important on the scale of things I want to devote time to.

To fill in the silence they've left, I've been on the hunt for sources of good Catholic audio to listen to, and I've found some great sites. They usually let you download the mp3 files to load onto your iPod, but most also allow you to stream the audio too. This is great if you have an iPhone because you can listen to any of it without having to download ahead of time. I've also listed some sources where you can purchase CD's. So, without further ado, here is a list of recommended sites:

Voice of Catholic Radio
This site is affiliated with St.Michael the Archangel parish out of Farmingville, NY, and  used to be home to the weekly sermons of our very own Fr. Robinson, which is how I found it.  Those are no longer available, but there are a number of past sermons, conferences, and lectures, especially if you dig around in the archives.

Saint Isidore the Farmer
I found this site in the links section of Voice of Catholic Radio and it has a ton of audio available.  St. Isidore Parish is a Society chapel in Watkins, CO and was apparently, at one point, home to Fr. J. Pfeiffer - many of his sermons are still available here.  I'd guess that there are hundreds of hours of audio here, including sermons, conferences, days of recollection, parish missions, and catechisms.  

Traditional Catholic Radio
Listen online or download the free TuneIn Radio app to listen to this streaming radio station.  Most of the time it broadcasts Gregorian Chant, but when I tune in around 7:30am (EST) on my drive into work, they are sometimes broadcasting past sermons from priests such as Bishop Fellay and Bishop Williamson.  I think they also broadcast the Mass at 8am, but I'm not sure if this is live or not.  There are few who can speak like Bishop Williamson so I love catching those, but I'm not a big fan of the chant, so this one is hit or miss for me.

Audio Sancto Sermon Series
I haven't listened to too many here yet, but there look to be some good sermons here, and they go back to 2003 so there's a lot of content.  They are also listed categorically if there is something particular that interests you.

Aquinas School of Philosophy
The Aquinas School of Philosophy is sort of an informal school that meets weekly in Buffalo, NY to hear lectures from various professors.  They record the sessions and make them available for purchase through their site, and the prices are very reasonable.  I've only purchased one so far (Dr. Dennis Bonnette's series entitled St. Thomas Aquinas' Five Ways to Prove the Existence of God), but it was well worth it.  At $25 for 5 audio CD's and a CD of notes, it's provided at least 8-10 hours of audio for me since I've already listed to it twice.  Most of the series seem over my head, but I'm going to try them anyway.  I was once told that when tackling difficult topics like Aquinas, I'll get out of them whatever God wants me to get out of them, and I believe this to be true.


So there you are - five great sources for Catholic audio.  In the future, I'll link to those that I find interesting or noteworthy.  I also plan on doing a similar post for video.

No comments:

Post a Comment